ESL Conversation Topic — Giving Advice
Level: Intermediate – Advanced
Giving advice is a topic that everyone can relate to. You can go a lot of different directions with this one. Just get it going and see where it leads.
Warmup: Relate a personal story when you were given advice or when you had to give advice to someone else. Write the word advice on the board to make sure that everyone learns the word.
Questions to Ask:
- When is a good time to give advice to a friend?
- When is a bad time to give advice to a friend?
- When you are given advice, do you listen? Does it depend on who gives you the advice? Who do you listen to?
- Have you ever taken someone’s advice and it ends up making the situation worse? Give some examples.
- Give an example of a time that you didn’t take someone’s advice but you wish you would have.
- What if a friend asks you for advice about something and you really have no idea what to say? Should you still try to give your friend advice?
- Is advice always free? Where do we go if we need to pay for advice? Is paying for advice a waste of money?