I Want to Go Home After I Overstayed My Visa in China

Dear Jean,

I would like to know if there is any Filipino agency who can help Filipinos especially when they have problem regarding their papers? I have a sister in china and she wants to go home but her papers will not ‘allow her to’ because she is already overstaying. She really wants to go home, can you give me some advice? And can you please send me the namae of those agencies and there address? I hope you will answer me. THANKS A LOT!

Respectfully Yours,
May-Ann

Jean answers May-Ann’s question

Dear May-Ann,

I am sorry to hear that your friend is in such a difficult situation. I am not so sure that there is anything to stop her from returning to the Phillipines but it is very likely that she will be fined by the Chinese authorities as she is leaving the country. The amount of the fine, of course, will depend on how long she has overstayed her visa.

I do not know of any agencies that can take care of this problem. I would advise your friend to visit the Phillipine Embassy in Beijing or the consulates in Shanghai or Guangzhou. She should be truthful with the officers about her visa overstay (which is a serious violation of Chinese law) and ask them what the best way is to return to the Phillipines. They should be able to help her.

I hope that your friend is able to return safely home. Let us know what happens.

Sincerely,

Jean

Ask Jean about China is a weekly feature on TeachAbroadChina.com. We welcome any questions related to living and working in China. Feel free to submit your questions by clicking here. We look forward to hearing from you.

96 Responses to I Want to Go Home After I Overstayed My Visa in China

1. Victim says:

If you’ve overstayed your visa and wish to go back to your homeland, do not panic for what you’ve done is already done & you can’t change that situation. From my experience, visit the PSB in your locality & inform them you’ve overstayed your visa & you want to go home, but you’re really sorry for not abiding by the Chinese law and such act will never be repeated again. The officer who’s gonna handle your case will guide you through the necessary procedures including fine payment of amount not exceeding RMB 5,000. Good luck guys & remember fear detroys things. Be bold & go there yourself. Thanks!

2. Leslie says:

Is it possible to leave china without paying overstaying fees??what happens when u Don’t have the money to pay that penalty?

3. vivian says:

hi,,,,pls..tell me how to visit a friend in jail in melin shenzhen.. she’s there for overstayed visa….THNKS,,,

4. dai says:

im oversatyed in china for 2years., if i pay my fine, can i get a new visa? can i apply visa to other country?

5. randy says:

i have been living in china for five years, and i have friends and relatives with the same problem as yours.Dont think too much, sometimes its not how worse the problem is. for those who overstayed in china, the best thing you should do is to go to a PSB office, humble yourself, do a little bit of crying, be sure to bring a translator. prepare some money (5000rmb),prepare a valid alibi, do not admit as much as possible that you worked in china. After the PSB gets your sworn statement and mug shots, they will allow you to leave and instruct you to wait for their call.NO ARREST WILL BE MADE, I PROMISE YOU!!!

sarah Reply:

What happens if you don’t have the penalty fee? My friend has overstayed 2 years. Hasn’t worked. I can pay 5000RMB fine but not 10000RMB and can only pay it on pay day. What should my friend do. I’m really worried.

6. john says:

Ok, to start off with 99 perct of the sh+t you read on the internet about overstayed visas and penalties í written by complete idiots who are talking out of there ass.
    1. If you overstay upto 10 days and not over theres a kind ò grace period here were you wont pay a fine just sign a paper saying sorry. You wont have any problem getting back in on a new visa.
    2. If you over stay 1 day less a year a fine of 5000 rmb and no jail time is usually the norm. Unless you have absolutly no proof ò how you have been living in China ie bank statements or work permitt.
    3. Over a year í mandatory jail time. Usually 1 month or less. Unless you have been doing shady things then they will hold you for longer trying to dig up dirt on you. After being released you wont have to pay a fine and get a 10 day exit. You wont be ban from china for more then 6 months.
    4. You must nơ turn yourself in to the same psb that gave you your last visa.
    5. Over two years jail time most likely fine as well as 5 year ban
    6. As of this year 2013 the fine will be moved upto 10 000 rmb
    if anyone has any questions leave an e mail add and i can get a hold of you. Chinas an evil place. Ì your from africa consider yourself fu”ked these rules dont apply and expect for the police to smack you ảound

jason Reply:

hey mate, john- are you sure the time is 6 only 6 months wait before can reapply? i need to know. can you get back to me.. cheers jason

terry Reply:

mr John can we plz chat thru e-mail my e-mail address is terrymasendeke1@yahoo.com

7. bbpang says:

i need help n advise….whoever pls help me n give a good advise wat to do…im now currently overstay in china for more than 3 months….n i need to fly to thailand on the next couple of months time…

8. kudzie says:

Sa mga pinoy na overstayer dito sa china,wag kung sinu sino at kanikanino kayo nagtatanong dahil di maganda,papaikutin lang mga utak ninyo at dun kayo confused. Mas maigi ay pumunta po kayo sa pinakamalapit nating embahada para ituturo nila ang dapat ninyong gawin. Ang penalty ay 5000 rmb,5-15 days detention o depende sa kaso mo. At sa kaalamanan nating lahat may bago po silang law na effective july 1,2013 ay maging sampung libo ang penalty. Madami tayo dito na walang visa at mas maigi na sa consulado tayo magtanong. Ingat tayong lahat.

chln Reply:

Hello.Pano kung voluntary leaving ang gawin ng isang Overstaying,ex.pupunta ka ng airport,with valid passport at plane ticket. I ho-hold ka parin ba nila.Hope to read you soon..

9. jhen girl says:

hello sir/ma’am,im shaina frm phils im overstayed here in china for almost 3yrs i want to go home but im afraid to surrender bcoz there r so many rumors that f they will detain u they get all ur things and money aside frm it they will torture u thats why,what should i do?how much penalty to be paid?pls,,help us!!!1thnx a lot!!!waiting ur reply

10. want-to-go-back says:

Hello all,
    I have similar issues with overstay.
    I overstayed for 1 month, paid the penalty, and then was asked to keep doing my visa, but when i went to the visa processing desk, the lady told me no need. When I wanted to leave China to go to HK to do my Z-visa, I wasn’t allowed to go out!! They asked me to go to the exit/entry office, and get an exit visa, which I did. I then went to HK to get the Z-visa, but was told I couldn’t apply for any VISA! I have to go to my home country to get a visa! A travel agency told me to “loose” my passport, and get a new one, which I did get a temporarily passport from my consulate, and tried to apply for a tourist visa on it, but it turns out to be rejected as well! I now think I have to go to home country, and get a new passport, to apply for a visa.
    Questions are:
    – Shall I only apply for a tourist VISA?
    – Or can I apply for a Z visa, from my home country directly?
    – Should I write that I have not been rejected any VISA from China authorities before, or can they find out on my name?
    – Shall I not mention that I had overstayed previously, and paid a penalty fee?

please help!
    Thanks.
    /Ducati

Robert Vance Reply:

Big mistake to ‘lose’ your passport like that. That’s why you should never listen to a travel agency about visa issues. If they’re not cheating you somehow, they’re giving you really bad advice.

You do need to return to our home country to get a Z-visa. This has always been the law but it isn’t until the past few years that the Chinese government has been enforcing this strictly.

Of course they can find your name (unless you change it). Don’t lie on your forms or otherwise they will wonder why you are hiding those things and deny you the visa.

11. len says:

hi,
    i’m an indian.my X visa got expired before 43 days.when i realized the officials in my university went for winter vacations.can any one help me please..?i have to go bak to my home as my dad is sick..can i book my airticket and go to airport directly and pay 5000 fine…am i able to come back china again in a new visa if i do so.. please help me in this issue..hope for your valuable solutions…thank you…len

12. alex says:

hello!

I never knew SO MANY OVERSTAYED HERE AND BEFORE I KNEW IT
    THERE SO DEMANDING!
    i DIDn’t offered my “helping” finger here FOR ALL.
    Excuse me! I have a life and I’m not ang agency nor
    earning any monetary benefit in it.

HAHAHA those LAWBREAKERS-OVERSTAYED! Mostly
    desperate to bribe, well-I’m not an agent-
    I repeat, I’m just an individual who are in
    this situation before.

I will not offered anymore advised,bye-guys!

salvation4638@gmail.com
    I need a shower hehehehe

13. Damn Annoyed says:

I contacted that Alex person before all this crazy stuff showed up on here about him. Took almost 2 weeks to hear back from him. Then when I did he asked for my info, and when I gave it, I never heard anything back.

Not sure if the guy is actually able to help anyone, but to say you can, and then not even get back to a person, well that really annoys me.

Don’t offer to help anyone out if you are not going to do so. All these negative emails on here about the guy, and his own negative remarks make me think I contacted the wrong person.

14. alex says:

TO CONFUSED:

You are absolutely CONFUSED!
    I’m just like you before 2007 and 2009
    We’re OVERSTAYED my wife, my son 4 years old,
    mother in law and myself.
    We tried to be connected with private guangxi
    or fixers but NO AVAIL.
    1. They’re expensive
    2. Not sure if they are sure
    3. I have the money only to pay for penalty (5,000)
    aside from the plane ticket.

This happened for twice. I posted my experience
    but I refrained to published the names of the
    establishment for what? to commercialized them?
    If you say I’m a arrogant ass-ALL I can say is that
    READ
    READ
    READ
    HAVE TIME TO READ
    OPINIONS AND EXPERIENCES OF OTHER PEOPLE!

I just posting my experience AND NOT PROFITED
    EVEN 1 YUAN OUT OF IT?
    DO you know someone here that I ask for monetary gain?
    I asked them to email me so that I can see some
    sincerity and decency from any persons who might need it.

Fee-can you tell me your story? Or do you have
    something to tell aside from being critical!

I’m just investing my time to give REAL EXPERIENCE
    BUT NOT TO THE EXTEND THAT I HAVE TO PUBLISH
    CONFIDENTIALITY ESPECIALLY TO THOSE WHO MAKE
    OVERSTAYING an issue whether to judge or condemn
    any one.
    AS FOR ME, I’ve been there-I know what I have to say,
    the pain, the rejection, the confusion and so with
    the FEAR!

Happy New Year-OVERSTAYED!
    Sooner YOU WILL BE SET FREE!

Alex

Confused Reply:

Wow this guy is doubly an asshole. First he acts like a jerk, then he turns around and tries to sound like the victim, and a savior. This guy is a kook as well, ignore any advice he gives I say.

Confused Reply:

Hmm, well it looks like this Alex person has shown his true colors, though they were plain to see from his prior words, can’t hide your true colors really.

Now you see why I warned not to seek this fellow out. Besides being a clear nut, he is also a hypocrite, as he has made it pretty clear he has overstayed himself,, hence he is the very loser he blasts other people for being.

China seems to attract a lot of nut jobs from other countries, thank God that can’t be said of everyone who comes here. Avoid Alex, by his very own words you should avoid him. Well, his own words, and simple common sense. Treat others with respect and you will get it in kind, do not, and you shall get a “reaction” as you call it, or are we to take your overriding arrogance and nasty demeanor simply because you claim to be able to help others? What a jerk.

15. Confused says:

If there is anyone in SHENZHEN that can help people with overstays, please post your email addy here. Just giving useless advice isn’t going to cut it for the majority of us.

Fee Reply:

ok, here are some links. None of them apply definitively to Shenzhen, but something may help you:

The general advice seems to be that Shenzhen in particular is very strict at immigration. Try to make it to another border town.

Contact or visit your Embassy. It might mean making a small trip somewhere, but they will know the exact law at this time, and they will be able to give you advice. Don’t expect them to pay a fine for you, they will not do that. They will give you any advice and help you need.

Looks like there’ll be a fine and a lot of apologising and begging involved.

16. Confused says:

Well to be honest I’d have no problem paying a bribe to deal with my problem, just don’t know who to pay it to. That’s all you are doing when you use an agent to deal with an overstay, paying a bribe. you are also paying a lot more to a middle man who does nothing except know someone who can take care of the problem.

This Alex guy claims to have connections, and the be able to take care of the problem, however all I’ve seen so far is a lot of talk, and no real information about how to actually take care of it. He tells us to do this or that, like go to a hotel and get a residence permit, but he doesn’t say which one. He gives lot’s of general info, but no real specifics. Then he turns around an arrogantly insults people. What a douche.

Fee Reply:

I wasn’t suggesting you pay a bribe! I was merely suggesting that that is the extent of my knowledge of Chinese law!

I agree with you about Alex. I am wondering if he’s one of the Chinese who like to use foreigners and their problems to line his own pockets.

I wish i could help you, but as a foreigner here, i don’t have the connections necessary.

If you do manage to resolve your situation, can you post here please? It might help others in the future.

Good luck!

Confused Reply:

Well in truth I have talked to some people who do actually solve these problems, but I’m not sure anyone would be interested when you take into account how much they charge. One person said they could take care of it for 30,000 yuan. Another for half that, but that person no longer offers their service.

As for suggesting I pay a bribe, hey, when in Rome. easy to forget how different things are here then back in our homr countries. In this country that’s business as usually. While it might assault our sensibilities, if you could do this to get out of such a jam, why not? The agencies that as they can take care of this problem just pay off someone they work with on a regular basis, so honestly, the only difference is that you’d be cutting out the middle man. If only us foreigners could go right to the source, eh.

17. Confused says:

I see a lot of conflicting reports here. Some people say that if you turn yourself in and have a plane ticket that you will not be jailed. others say you will be jailed. What is the truth?

I also have to wonder about everyone’s advice to go to a hotel. If you have overstayed for a long time, won’t the police be suspicious and want to know where you have stayed? They can’t possibly believe that you have lived in hotels for months or years.

There are a lot of conflicting stories here, I would like to have some kind of sure answer.

alex Reply:

As confused as your named is.
    Let me say again, that laws in china
    it changes overnight!

Then, if you live longer and study and learn
    Chinese way will not get confused ANYWAY!

Lesson, try to study and learn your questions
    to be answered by reading all posted experiences
    here and YOU WILL UNDERSTAND CLEARLY-

Cheers,

alex

Confused Reply:

Well you are an arrogant ass.

Fee Reply:

You’re right confused.

This is the same ass that tried to tell people from developed countries that their governments would pay the fines.

I’ve lived in China for over 2 years, and i still don’t understand the way Chinese law works (other than paying the bribe…).

I am now seriously wondering whether this is one of the ‘agencies’ that try to get round the law.

18. ann says:

hello i am new here. i want to ask about the amnesty here in China. i have read that they have given one this year. is their a possibility that another amnesty will be given this coming year? were can i enquire? and is thier any thing to process? and how will it be done? hoping from your advice. thank you in advance.

alex Reply:

There IS NO SUCH THING AS AMNESTY!
    read out the blog for years and you
    will find out that there is none!

Anyway, hope you can settle your case
    SOON!

Cheers,
    Alex

Fee Reply:

Actually, Alex, there was an amnesty before the 2008 Olympics.
    Remember: For Foreigners, rumour is rife and often the only way we find out anything is happening. We cannot read or understand most of the local news, and even if we can read Chinese, often the news doesn’t help us.

Please be a little more courteous.
    Maybe it was because they didn’t ask your ‘agency’ for help?
    How much money, exactly, do you make from the people you ‘help’?

Confused Reply:

Who knows the amount, though some of the amounts I have been quoted are truly outrageous. You know you are dealing with middle men when hearing such prices, people who will prey on the seeming desperateness of others. I have no problem with a reasonable payment for services rendered, but when people start asking for in excess of 3,000 US dollars, well that’s insane.

alex Reply:

IF THERE IS, I MISSED IT.
    I might save at least 20k
    for the 4 of us in my family.

glad you have it known.
    well in fact, I contacted every
    agencies and provinces in China
    FOR AS IF YOU KNOW THEY HAVE DIFFERENT POLICIES
    CONCERNING OVERSTAYED.
    BUT FROM SOUTH, NORTH AND SO WITH WEST
    AND THE REST OF CHINA-IN MY TIME,
    HAVEN’T HEARD OF AMNESTY.

MAYBE NEXT TIME TELL ME OKEY
    BY JUST POSTING HERE BUT FOR NOW,
    I WILL RATHER LEAVE CHINA THAN TO BE
    AN OVERSTAY(LAWBREAKER) AGAIN!

19. jeffrey says:

November 30th, 2011 at 7:45 pm

ma’am can you give your number please? or QQ accnt or YM.. we want to surrender also.. we need the right advice.. we don’t know what to do.. we’re also OS here in china.. turning to 2months.. we entered here as a group tour came from macau.. and someone who deceived us. they said, they can give us a visa for 6months but we need to enter here in china first and wait for one week.. but after that they’re gone.. the worst thing is, we gave them the money for proccessing.. 7000hkd.. each.. we’re staying here now of my friend.. please help.. we want to go back as soon as possible.. tnx

alex Reply:

Hello,
    Jeffrey:

Just to know that it’s happened to evryone especially if your a
    foreigner. If you are still in China, just email me your nationality and where are you now?

hoping that I can help you in connec tions.

Mabuhay,

Alex

jeffrey Reply:

we’re filipino’s.. we’re still here in china.. here in hainan.. hope you will help us sir.. can we get you number? and your email? tnx

alex Reply:

Merry X’mas
    Sori for the delayed of replied.
    Busy now a days with the holidays.

Hoping that everything is fine with you
    all, all my concerns and wish you all the best.

Email me then:salvation4638@gmail.com
    Let’s talk of how I can help you guys.

20. HAYAT says:

HELO I LIKE THIS BLOGS…
    I WAS OVER STAY IN CHINA FOR TWO YEAR AFTER ARREST GIVE ME ONE IN HALF MONTH DETENTION IN YIWU CITY ….
    I CHANGE THE PASPRT I TRIED RE INTER CHINA BUT NO GIVE ME ENTRY AND CANCELED VISA ONE NIGHT IN TASKURGAN CAME BACK I WENT THER BY ROAD SUST BORDER FROM PAKISTAN IMMEGRATIN SAY IM BLAK LIST FOR 5 YEAR ..
    WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?
    ANY WAY FOR BALAK LIST RUL
    ….ANY FTRIND GIVE ME ADVOICE…THANKS EMAI ME

859597490@QQ.COM

alex Reply:

Hello what a pity experience.

contact me then.
    Let’s try to figure it out.

Cheers,

Alex

Confused Reply:

Alex, might help if you posted an email for people to get back to you at.

21. crystal says:

please anyone could tell me what should i do, im overstay in china getting to 1 month now, i already prepared the papers that they asked me, and im willing to pay the fine. would they still detained me? please anyone could answer me asap. thanx

randy Reply:

My cousins,a girl and a boy, they did everything just like you did, we are filipinos, i can promise you, no detention will be made. wag kayong nagpapaniwala sa mga sabisabi. minsan ang kaba nyo ang papatay sa inyo, it is not as worse as you think.

22. crystal says:

hello, im overstay im china getting to 1month now and i went to psb and they ask me to process some papers, and book my ticket for 7-15days and pay fine. i already book my ticket. can they still detained me even i already process all those papers that they need?